International Student Visas – 2022-2023



Certainly, there are three primary International Student Visa types: F, J, and M in the United States. These visas are categorized based on their area of action and its ways of assistance to the International Students.



Let’s take you by the hands and work you through this article believing that at the end, you will be enlightened with new knowledge and information on International Student Visas.
Let’s check it out below;



Types of International Student Visa

Below are types of student visas in the United States
F-1 Student Visa: this particular visa is made available for study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at an English language institute.
J-1 Exchange Visa: this also serves the holder for participation in an exchange program, including high school and university study
M-1 Student Visa: this visa is designed for non-academic or vocational study or training in the United States.

See Also:



However, it’s important we note that valid student visas are required to apply to the Department of Homeland Security for admission into the United States at the port of entry. Students’ Form I-20 document (F and M visas) or DS-2019 document (J visas), that are issued by their institution, is what allows them to maintain student status in the United States even if a visa expires during their studies.



Note This: for a successful admission into the US, the above instructions must be followed accordingly.

Also Read: MIT International Excellence Scholarship – 2022

Nevertheless, for one to be issued I-20 or DS-2019 documentation for student visas, U.S. institutions must be certified by the Department of Homeland Security SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) (F, M visas) or designated by the Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (J visas), respectively.



You must consider that an institution certified by SEVP to issue I-20s (F, M visas), the institution may not hold national or regional accreditation. Recognition of course credits and degrees by other institutions and by U.S. and international employers is linked to an institution’s accreditation. The U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation databases list all U.S. institutions’ accreditation.
Again, note that institutions designated by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs to place participants in Academic Exchange programs (J visas) must be accredited.



It will interest you to know that two separate U.S. government agencies manage international student arrival and status while studying in the United States. The U.S. Department of State is responsible for the initial visa application process and issuance. Once a visa holder arrives in the United States, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security then acts as the responsible agency for granting entry into the country, as well executing immigration regulations that affect international students once they are in the United States for their respective studies.

Leave a Comment