The Gardiner Scholarship (PLSA) program aids parents in creating education plans for their children with special needs.
In January of 2016, the program, initially known under the title of the personal learning scholarship Account, was changed to the Gardiner Scholarship. The new name is in honor of Florida Senate President Andy Gardiner and his family, who drove the legislative effort to create the program.
For times, Gardiner and his wife Camille have been a champion of children with extraordinary abilities. Gardiners have two daughters. Gardiners have two daughters and one boy who has Down syndrome. Andrew.
What is it that makes the Gardiner scholarship different and distinctive? The Gardiner Scholarship allows parents to modify their child’s education, making money available for a mix of programs and reputable service providers. Experts, therapists, schools and curricula, and even an account for college savings are among them.
The Scholarship is available for Florida students from 3 to 22 or in the 12th grade who are handicapped or have special needs.
Read Also: MIT Academic Achievement Scholarship – 2022
Requirements for Eligibility
This award is offered to Florida students aged between 3 and 12 or until they reach 22 or earlier with at least one of these diagnoses:
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- A child is at a high risk
- Cerebral Palsy
- Down syndrome
- A deficit in the emotional or behavioral sense.
- Hearing loss, including deafness
- In the hospital or homebound
- The identification is as having a double sensor impairment
- Mental impairment
- Language impairment
- Dystrophy of muscles
- Deficiency in orthopedics
- Other health problems
- Phelan-McDermid syndrome
- The Prader-Willi syndrome
- Rare illnesses
- Specific learning disability
- Speech impairment
- Spina Bifida
- TBI (traumatic brain injury)
- Blindness as well as visual impairment
- Williams syndrome
Students must be 3 or 4 years of age before September 1.
The kindergarten students must be at least five years of age on or before September 1.
First graders must be six years old as of September 1.
Students can apply for the Gardiner Scholarship Program (PLSA) to complete their education at home. But, they can’t be eligible for any other scholarship sponsored by the state (McKay Scholarship or Florida Tax Credit Scholarship).
Students must be enrolled in a Florida school’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or an official diagnosis from a licensed Florida psychologist or doctor.
Gardiner Scholarship Login
If you have applied to the Gardiner Scholarship with Step Up in the past year or are preparing to apply for the academic year 2021-2022, You must log in to your account to submit your application, verify your status, and more.
Log in using your existing username and password by clicking here. sign in using your username and password.
If you’ve lost your password, try the “Forgot Password” or “Forgot Password” link for assistance.
Gardiner Scholarship Providers
- Service providers with specialized expertise should be one of the following:
- An organization that is recognized as a service organization of services by the Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD).
- A person certified through the Florida Department of Health.
- A staff member employed by an organization designated an organization of services by the Office of Early Learning for Specialized Instructional Services Provider (SIS) that includes behavior analysts who have been certified through the Board for Behavioral Analyst Certification.
- A person who is recognized as a practitioner legally in Florida, according to the BACB website.
- Specialized services offered by approved providers include, but aren’t only limited to the following:
- Services for Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- A Speech-Language Pathologist who is licensed offers services (SLP)
- Professional services provided by occupational therapy or licensed physical therapist
- Speak the language, and listening specialists offer services in 4 Rev. 81515
- Other specialist services provided by a licensed service provider
Gardiner Scholarship Application
Renewal Family: If your child received a scholarship from Step-Up Gardiner (previously PLSA) for the 2017-2018 school year, click on this link to apply for the next school year in 2022 or to sign in using your username and password.
New Families: They’re also accepting applications for scholarships for the academic year. Priority will be given to children who were previously placed on waitlists.
To submit your online form, applicants need to possess an email account. To begin the application process, you must create an active email address.
Click this link to begin your application if you’re new to the program.
What Does the Gardiner Scholarship Pay For?
The amount for the Scholarship will vary based on the grades, the county of residence, and disabilities. The award amount for the academic year 2021-22 is yet to be decided.
The amount of the Scholarship computed for a student enrolled in the program with Level I up to Level III’s matrix of service or a diagnosis made by a psychologist or a doctor is based on the grade level and the school district where the child would be in.
The allocation of funds has to be by the average outstanding student’s education guarantee allocation for every exceptional full-time equivalent student in your school district.
The amount of the Scholarship that is computed for a student having a Level IV or Level V matrix of services has to be determined by the school district in which the student was assigned as the total amount per full-time equivalent Level IV or Level V special student educational program.
The value of the Scholarship for a student who has won the Gardiner Scholarship in the 2020-2021 school year will be greater than the amount outlined in the above figure or that that the student was awarded in the 2020-2021 school year.
Application Closing Date
The applications should be received before July 30, 2021, to be considered. Those who submit their applications before the deadline will be given priority in financing.
For renewal applicants to be prioritized, all students that are considered eligible to be considered for this Scholarship Gardiner Scholarship 2022 will be placed on waiting lists.
Check Also: MIT International Excellence Scholarship – 2022
This Scholarship could be the saving grace you need in the case of a child with special needs.
The Gardiner award recognizes parents’ struggles when caring for their children with special needs and helps ease some of the burdens.